vo-dml in votable

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Fri Feb 13 09:15:42 CET 2015

Dear App members,

The study of the 3 VODML Gerard's proposals leads me to raise these 3
points, and a suggestion.

For App WG point of view, first of all, we have to assure that this DM
effort *(1) keeps the VOTable backward compatibility.* And in a second
point, I would like that*(2) the VOTable standard keeps a relative
simpleness*. Otherwise, it will become more and more difficult to sell
it to data producers. So *VODML must stay as simple as possible and
optional***otherwise the real result will be the emergence of new basic
formats (JSON, ASCII, FITS or whatever) with poorer or divergente
metadata description than a basic VOTable without VODML (cf. coordinate
STC note usage). And in third point, I would like to (3) *keep VOTable
standard manageable*. I'm not sure that we have time and energy for
re-opening a full VO discussion each time we need to adjust VODML XML
element/attribut (VODML, TYPE, ROLE, ALTTYPE, ...).

My idea would be to *suggest**the addition of just one optional new
element <VODML>* in GROUP, PARAM, FIELDref, PARAMref (and why not
GROUPref), but for which, its XML definition (sub-types, attributs...)
would be described not in VOTable document itself but in a separated
IVOA standard managed by the DM group (through the classical IVOA
standardization process - may be directly insert in the VODML standard
itself). By this way the DM effort could follow is own way and time with
a relative freedom.

Best regards,
Pierre