VOspec - killer of SAMP

Petr Skoda skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz
Sat Apr 25 00:26:37 CEST 2015

Hi all

investigating the issue about SAMP in multiuser environment I have found
the mess caused by VOspec (version 6.6) even in single-user environment.

The issue is this.

I have had used during my VO lectures within last two weeks many many
times examples sending VOtables between Topcat Aladin and Splat-VO in
different combinations until I decided to run VOspec.
After quiting it and other running apps I was not able to start SAMP again
!!

Every of this Big Three apps (aladin, topcat, splat) did have in
Interop menu ONLY PLASTIC. It means the window of plastic does not have
ability to run SAMP hub . Good by - SAMP - no way to run it again.
The issue is finally very simple explained.

The start of VOspec (6.6. tested only) creates the .plastic lock file

(here is example :

#PLASTIC server uk.ac.starlink.plastic.ServerSet
#Sat Apr 25 00:11:43 CEST 2015
plastic.xmlrpc.url=http\://castor\:2117/
uk.ac.starlink.plastic.servid=uk.ac.starlink.plastic.ServerSet at 11905c5
plastic.version=0.4
plastic.rmi.port=1104

)

This file is not removed even after correct finishing VOspec.

So when it exists - from now on ANY apps does not show SAMP window anymore
(the VOSpec only has both menus)
I guess thats because the SAMP in VOspec is obsolete or has strange logic
not common to other apps ....

I am sure that there will be other VO apps issues in interoperability when
someone really starts to use them . I am just wondering how it is
possibl ethere was so many schools and training ongoing in the world but
no-one had noticed the mis-behaviour of the interoperability which as been
our buzzword for 15 years ;-)

Not talking that general behaviour of VO apps is basically horrible -
during 20 hours of intensive VO hands-ons in three universities we have
suffered at least 10 times the crash of all of them (even Topcat ;-)
from unknown reasons - usually it was during tim ewhen I was not clicking
on anything or loading tables.

We have used different OS (linux, mac, several windows) some java was
openjava in linux some were genuine Oracle 1.7 or 8 ....

No difference

Best regards

Petr

*  Petr Skoda                         Phone : +420-323-649201, ext. 361 *
*  Stellar Department                         +420-323-620361           *
*  Astronomical Institute AS CR       Fax   : +420-323-620250           *
*  251 65 Ondrejov                    e-mail: skoda at sunstel.asu.cas.cz  *
*  Czech Republic                                                       *