Table row to SED?

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Sep 11 18:17:39 CEST 2014

Hi Apps,

I have a request from a user who has tables with photometry columns
in topcat, and wants to be able to click on a row and see an SED
built from the photometry data contained in the row.

The request as phrased was to add a "plot SED" button in topcat,
but I'm not going to do that.  I'm wondering if there is anything
out there that can accept SAMP messages (table.load.votable
followed by one or more table.highlight.row) to achieve a similar
effect.  The receiving application would need to be able to
make sense of table and column metadata well enough to associate
columns with spectral coordinates.

I'm a bit out of touch with spectral applications, so I don't know
if this is far-fetched or easy or somewhere in between, or whether
there is some other approach that makes more sense to achieve
the same general effect, anyway, any thoughts welcome.