vo-dml in votable

Laurino, Omar olaurino at head.cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 16 17:33:37 CEST 2014

Hi All,

During the Banff Interop discussion on the VOTable changes there was a
question regarding the use case behind the "alternative type"
representation. Here is a detailed description of such use case and the
requirements related to it.

Omar.

It is rather common for data providers to have specific data models for
their datasets, and such models can usually be represented as extensions of
a standard one (two examples are the NED SED service w.r.t. SpectrumDM and
the SVO Filter Profile Service w.r.t PhotometryDM).
On the other hand, a strong requirement we had for the UTYPEs, and that
still applies with any alternative to UTYPEs (I am referring to these
strings as "vodml references" in the following), was that "naive" clients
had to be able to find the metadata they are looking for by just assuming
knowledge of the data model they are interested in (*).

Referring to the examples we have made so far, assume you have a Source DM,
where a Source has a position of type SkyCoordinate, defined in the STC2
model, one has these vodml references defined:

src:Source (type)
src:Source.position

stc2:SkyCoordinate (type)
stc2:SkyCoordinate.longitude
stc2:SkyCoordinate.latitude

A naive client must be able to find these vodml references in the
serialization, so they cannot be obfuscated by extensions.

Let's say a specific provider extends the Source class by adding a
mission-specific or datacenter-specific attribute. We will have a MySource
DM that introduces two new vodml-ids:

my:Source
my:Source.custom_attribute

A naive client must still be able to identify a my:Source instance as a
src:Source without having to parse the vo-dml/xml document.

Thus, here is how the serialization would look like in VOTable according to
the current UTYPEs mapping document (omitting the unnecessary VOTable
attributes):

<GROUP utype="vo-dml:Instance.root">
   <PARAM utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" value="my:Source" />
   <PARAM utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" value="src:Source" />

   <GROUP utype="src:Source.position">
      <PARAM utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" value="stc2:SkyCoordinate" />
      <PARAM utype="stc2:SkyPosition.longitude" value="..." />
      <PARAM utype="stc2:SkyPosition.latitude" value="..." />
   </GROUP>

   <PARAM utype="my:Source.custom_attribute" value="..." />
</GROUP>

Despite the fact that a naive src:Source client does not know anything
about my:Source (and doesn't care, in this use case), it can still find all
the vodml references it needs without having to parse the VO-DML/XML
document. This is true because the root instance is declared as both
my:Source and src:Source:
   <PARAM utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" value="my:Source" />
   <PARAM utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" value="src:Source" />

So, the naive src:Source client can query for a
GROUP[PARAM[@utype="vo-dml:Instance.type" and @value="src:Source"]] and
then get all the attributes it needs in order to build an instance of a
src:Source.

In other terms, one can safely upcast representations of VO-DML instances
without having to parse the VO-DML/XML description, so the original use
case (and attached requirements) is fulfilled.

Notice that this extensibility problem was one of the main drivers of the
whole UTYPEs effort, as we had big issues in implementations of the SED
Builder case, and we were foreseeing the same issue for the Cubes effort.
As we didn't want to employ unsustainable ad-hoc solutions for each data
provider we designed a generic framework that works in many different
scenarios.

(*) The definition of "naive" client is provided in the Mapping document.
In a nutshell, a naive client assumes knowledge of a Data Model in the form
of a bunch of utypes (vodml references) and does not need, or want, to
parse the data model standard description files, i.e. VO-DML/XML.
A "naive" client is only "naive" when it comes to DMs, not VOTable parsing,
obviously.
VO-DML and the Mapping documents are designed to make simple things
consistent and not ad-hoc while enabling many advanced use cases.
In this sense, it is not like "naive" clients are "stupid", but they are
distinguished from clients that harvest the full potential of the VO-DML
framework and can just ignore it, focusing on the few utypes they are
really interested in.

--
Omar Laurino
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory