SKOS concepts in VOTable (strawman proposal text for Sect 3.5)

Pierre Fernique Pierre.Fernique at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Sep 17 12:27:11 PDT 2012

Hi Seb, Norman and all VOTable contributors,

I would like to bring your attention to an already existing "href" usage
in order to avoid potential problem concerning the proposal
usage/definition of "href" and "content-role" attributes of VOTable
field. I do not want to discourage the idea just to take care of
potential incompatibilities.

The "href" attribute is already used for several years by data
providers, notably VizieR, NED, Simbad, LEDA, ESO, IMCCE and some other
VOTable data providers. These data providers are defining "href"
(alternatively "gref") and "content-type" attributes for accessing
ancillary data (documentation, images, fov, ...). In Aladin client, it
corresponds to the links and buttons in the list of source measurements
(see below). These data providers use the "content-type" attribute (MIME
type of data)  and not the "content-role". It is enough for Aladin to
decide the action that it has to do with the provided href=url.

In the state of the proposal, there is no real incompatibility, notably
as suggested, it is possible to duplicate the <LINK> element as many as
necessary for various purposes.
But for Aladin, the main problem will be the generation of wrong links.
Only the first <LINK> element is presently taken into account, and
potentially, it will use a SKOS URIs (just a string) and not a real URL.
In this case, some wrong links will appear in the Aladin measurement
table (generating errors when the users will click on them).

The process to update Aladin takes always a very long time (for
instance, NED web site is always using Aladin v4 - 5 years old) - so it
is quite impossible to change Aladin for supporting rapidly this new
href proposal.

So, I have to say that I do not see other solution that to discourage
the usage of "href" for another things that true URLs. In my
understanding, the "utype" attribute is certainly more relevant for
describing the SKOS type if we consider that the SKOS concepts can be
see as a model of metadata.

Sincerely,
Pierre