Backwards incompatible changes in VOTable 1.2

Thomas Boch thomas.boch at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Jul 9 23:59:02 PDT 2012

Hi,

I recenty found out (at my expense) that the VOTable 1.2 schema
introduced some backwards incompatible changes with respect to earlier
versions of the standard.
The following structure :
<RESOURCE>
  <INFO name="foo" value="fooValue"></INFO>
  <INFO name="bar" value="barValue"></INFO>
  <LINK action="http://mydomain.com/mylink" />
</RESOURCE>

is valid in VOTable 1.1 but is invalid in VOTable 1.2

It seems that the issue comes from changes made in order to allow INFO
elements before the closing tags /TABLE, /RESOURCE and /VOTABLE.
Was there a strong enough use case for introducing a change which breaks
backwards compatibility ?
I feel that this incompatibility should be clearly and proeminently
pointed out in the VOTable document.

Cheers,

Thomas