JSAMP v1.3 release

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 06:57:17 PDT 2011

Hi all,

This is to announce the release of JSAMP v1.3, available at the usual place:

    http://software.astrogrid.org/doc/jsamp/

There are a number of improvements at this version, listed in detail at:

    http://software.astrogrid.org/doc/p/jsamp/1.3/history.html#Version_1_3

The most important item however is that in this version the Web Profile
(defined in the SAMP 1.3 Working Draft available on the IVOA docs page)
can be easily turned on and off from a running hub.

When the JSAMP hub is run, it usually displays a GUI window and/or a
System Tray icon.  A Profiles menu is now available from both these
places, which allows the Web Profile (as well as the Standard Profile
and any others configured) to be turned on and off.
By default at startup, the Web Profile is not running - this is in
accordance with our consideration in Nara that we are still experimenting
with security, but unlike in previous versions it can be turned on under
user control from the GUI while running, rather than requiring
user-unfriendly command-line switches.

As this hub becomes more widely deployed, I'm hoping it will encourage
people to develop SAMP-aware (Web Profile) web pages, since it will
be possible for less-expert users to make use of them.
I therefore encourage developers/distributors of applications which
embed a JSAMP hub to upgrade to JSAMP v1.3 in future releases
(the next version of TOPCAT will do this - for a pre-release see
ftp://andromeda.star.bris.ac.uk/pub/star/topcat/pre/).

Any comments etc very welcome to me or, if appropriate, the apps-samp list.