Fwd: [fitswcs] VO standard for JPEG with WCS

Frank Valdes valdes at noao.edu
Thu Jan 17 07:59:36 PST 2008

I am not subscribed but I am taking Bill Pence's suggestion to
contribute to the discussion.

Frank Valdes

From: Frank Valdes <valdes at noao.edu>
Date: January 17, 2008 8:51:00 AM MST
To: fitswcs <fitswcs at nrao.edu>
Subject: Re: [fitswcs] VO standard for JPEG with WCS

FWIW one approach for the science community would be wrapping the
JPEG file with FITS as in the "foreign file" encapsulation method.  I
use this to write PNG files to a FITS file for ingestion into an
archive that primarily uses FITS headers for metadata.  One nice
thing about this is FITS multi-extension so that, in my example, the
FITS container has two PNGs for a postage stamp and for a larger
"science-like" version.  The "foreign file" conventions are
documented and could easily move to a standard if desired.

OTOH, if a graphic format already provides a blob where an
specialized stuff can be stored that won't break the functions of
standard software (photo software for instance) then I would
certainly agree that if the astronomical community could agree on a
standard way to store a WCS (probably just FITS "cards") this would
be good.  Any such agreement I would suggest should happen under the
auspices of the astronomy community FITS committees and mechanisms.

My $0.02 worth,
Frank Valdes