SSAP clients for theoretical spectra

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Fri Oct 12 12:36:23 PDT 2007

Hi,

The problem, from the theory point of view and the registry, is not
only related with  theory-SSAP services: There are other theoretical
results that can be access now with the
"format=metadata" approach like isochrones, evolutinary tracks or
photoionization models
results that does not fit directly with an spectra (and neither with
SSAP).

I agree that if the final result of a model a spectra, it should be
follow the SSAP recomendations and de DataModel representation for
spectra. But in the general case the theoretical result is not only a
single spectra, but also its different components that can also be
represented as a spectra  (e.j. the contrubition of different stellar
populations in synthesis model case, or the incident, tranmited and
absorbed continuum in photoionization model case). I agree in use
SSAP for the access of each one of this componets, but I also think
that it would be better to
register theoretical services in general (i.e. something that say to
applications that the query should be format=metadata or something
like that) PLUS something that says with other protocols accept the
service (SSAP + TAP + whatever). Otherwise we will have an access to
theoretical spectral ok, but we will repeat the same discussion for
every other type of theoretical result...

Summing up. From my point of view the issue of register theoretical
models is:

1) Make sure that the FIRST query to the service will be a
format=metadata (or getCapabilities like query)
2) Specify which other protocols the service provide (AFTER the
format=metadata query has been done)

In this schema, applications that are able to work with tables other
than spectra (e.g. TopCat) can retrieve theoretical data (e.j.
isochrones) because only will need the format=metadata part of the
protocol, which is in fact completely independent on the final
product (spectra or other kind of table).

cheers

	Miguel