Access to theoretical models from applications?

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Sun Jul 8 14:11:10 PDT 2007

Dear App group

following with the discussion started previously about Spectral
theoretical access,
Pedro Osuna posted  to the dal maillist a revision of the SSA
protociol with an appendix with a detailed description about  TSAP
(theoretical spectral access protocol), based
in queries with type format=metadata

I just take the appendix of this document and I have put it in:

http://dae17.iaa.es:8080/~mcs/VO/TSAP.pdf

The protocol, although included in SSA, it is not necessarily
related with spectra, but with it can be used
for any "a priori undefined" database.

As an example, it would allow to a better access to VizieR catalogs:
In the Web, you can access to particular files in a catalog following
     4 WWW pages (http://vizier.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/VizieR-1,
VizieR-2, Vizier-3 and VizieR-4)
In Aladin, you can only access to the first 2 "forms" (analogous to
VizieR-1 and
      VizieR-2) but at this point you must download all the catalog
and not the files
      you would be interested in... I think that it can be solved
including the TSAP
      ideas in Aladin to access steps 3 and 4

Well, my question is: Currently, which applications support the
format=metadata query?
I know VOSpec and VOSed support it, but there is any other?

(I am particularly interested since I had developed some theoretical
services using this approach and I want to convince other scientific
people to give their data in the VO, but
most of they do not provide spectra, so it is quite difficult
convince them if, at this moment,
they will not able to see their results in VO applications ;)

cheers

	Miguel