Applications Messaging Standard

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 14:43:19 PST 2007

John Taylor wrote:
> In fact, one could go further an eliminate the hub and go peer to
> peer....each application picks a port in a defined range to host
> its own xmlrpc server.  When an application wants to discover its
> peers it scans this range, and should easily detect whether the
> port belongs to a suitable application.

It's just occurred to me that we probably both know at least one
system administrator that might shoot their users for running
software that's basically doing a port scan against the machine. If
we do go down this route we're going to have to be very (very)
careful about writing the specification.

Al.