Applications Messaging Standard

Mike Fitzpatrick mjfitzpatrick at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 10:18:19 PST 2007

On 2/15/07, Tony Linde <Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk> wrote:
 > Hi John,
 >
 >  > whatever solution we choose should be platform and
 >  > language neutral.
 >
 > agreed.
 >
 >  > Unfortunately, there's no way
 >  > for Python, Perl and everyone else to use it.
 >
 > I'd be surprised if there weren't libraries for getting the windows
 > registry info - not sure what java does so don't know about that.

I think even the suggestion of using the Windows registry violates
the first comment above (can somebody point me to a Fortran
interface to the registry?).   As has been pointed out before, the
current .plastic file (and the suggested .ivoamsg file) is not the
reason for your demo problems and so long as apps play nice with
the host system, the use of dot files is not ground-breaking technology.
Likewise, using the java properties is nice for java, but....

I also think we're agreed that a well-known file, a separate name server, a
"hub" or somesuch is needed and is an implementation detail.  For this
exercise we should concentrate on what information needs to be written
to establish the connection and pass messages.  Does the XPA name
server do something the PLASTIC hub doesn't?  If so, do we need it and
what does that look like in our new protocol (i.e. a dedicated administrative
message or some generic functionality) ?

-Mike