IVOA Messaging - the state of the disunion?

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 14:02:13 PST 2007

I thought I'd try to see where we have broad agreement, and where we
differ.  If I'm wrong, I know I can count on you to correct me.

Areas where we seem to agree
========================
We will concentrate on app2app messaging for a single user on a
single machine
We will have a hub/daemon process to facilitate the messaging (there
is actually still some disagreement on this: http://www.ivoa.net/
twiki/bin/view/IVOA/ApplicationsMessagingInitialQuestionsFourteen)
The messaging system will be kept simple: no encryption, no
transactions, guaranteed delivery etc
The messaging protocol will be defined independently of any
underlying wire protocol

Areas where I think we agree, but I'm not sure
===================================

Applications are free to spawn an instance of the hub/daemon, but
should behave "nicely" (TBD) if they shut it down.
We won't attempt any clever hand-over from one hub/daemon instance to
another
Applications will be located dynamically (probably through the hub/
daemon) rather than from a remote registry

Areas still to be decided or discussed

How we bootstrap the connection to the Hub/daemon
Which wire protocol(s) to use
Everything to do with the messages themselves
What we should aim to achieve by May