Applications Messaging Standard

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 12:07:31 PST 2007

Hi Mike - your reply didn't go to the apps list (I don't think), so
the stuff below might be out of context.

On 15 Feb 2007, at 18:40, Tony Linde wrote:

> > I think even the suggestion of using the Windows registry violates
> > the first comment above (can somebody point me to a Fortran
> > interface to the registry?).   As has been pointed out before, the
> > current .plastic file (and the suggested .ivoamsg file) is not the
> > reason for your demo problems and so long as apps play nice with
> > the host system, the use of dot files is not ground-breaking
> technology.
> > Likewise, using the java properties is nice for java, but....
>
> I wasn't suggesting that we use the windows registry - I said that
> the registry is the obvious solution in windows but that since
> linux does not have an equivalent facility (don't know about macs),
> the common file seems to be the lowest common denominator.
>
> One point since we're mentioning languages: do other languages have
> the concept of a 'home' directory? We know that it'll work for java
> and .net languages, but do python, perl etc have commands to get
> the 'home' directory which will return the same directory as java
> does?

Python and perl certainly do.  As far as I can tell C# appears not to
- I had to use the the API that gave me the location of the Desktop,
and then append "/.." which is not really satisfactory.  On C++ I
seem to remember that I had to get the environment variable "HOME",
but this often wasn't set on Windows.  Perhaps Marco can say how it's
done properly in C++.  It also looks like it can be done in Ruby.