$HOME/.Nooooooo!

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 07:11:59 PST 2007

Hi John,

> Hi Tony.  The PLASTIC hub writes a single file $HOME/.plastic which
> is half a dozen lines long.   The large files you're describing have
> nothing to do with PLASTIC.

But it is still in the wrong place. If we can get all the apps to put their
files into the appropriate place then we'll avoid problems in the future.
(My $HOME/.workbench directory has 2.5Mb in 15 files and I barely use the
app).

App data goes into $HOME/Application Data/xxx

Temp data goes ??? - anyone?

Saved info goes in $HOME/My Documents/xxx

Since other apps (gaim, mozilla, google, skype, ...) are getting it right,
it should not be too difficult for VObs apps to do so as well. All I'm
asking is that apps be written so as not to mess things up for the users -
regardless of how much info they're writing.

T.