Applications Messaging Standard

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Tue Feb 13 04:28:27 PST 2007

Tony Linde wrote:
> Phew. This thread was starting to get complicated. Glad everyone
> now seems
> to agree with Doug, Paul etc that we need to keep this thing simple.

I think everyone agrees that we need to keep things simple, I think
the debate is about how simple we should get. As usual I think I'm
going to be advocating a level of simplicity for a first cut at the
standard at a level some people will inevitably find unacceptable. Oh
well...

> Perhaps, even, to obviate the problems John raises we mandate that
> the hub
> is detached and startable via some mandated process which can be
> autostarted
> at boot, manually started by user or kicked off by first app to
> require it.

That said, I'm not sure we really want to go around mandating things
like how hubs are started. What if I'm running a compliant app and I
don't want it to start a Hub... surely we can't mandate that to
support the standard such a app must start a hub. Also, wouldn't that
mean that every client author has to include a Hub implementation in
with their app? I'm not sure that'll be greeted with much joy...?

Cheers,
Al.