Applications Messaging Standard

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:11:07 PST 2007

On 12 Feb 2007, at 23:00, Doug Tody wrote:

> For a simple protocol this sort of thing should be transparent.
> The simplest approach is probably for the logical view to be a single
> "hub" process or thread, one per session, which lives somewhere,
> depending
> upon the implementation.
>
> 	- Doug

I can see that not worrying about handover from one hub to another
would simplify things.  So we need to decide how to fire up such a
daemon if it's not already running.  We could just ask the user to
start it, I guess.  No doubt some app authors will still want to make
it seamless by spawning off a hub themselves.  In that case we'll
have to rely on good etiquette so that such hubs don't "bump" an
already running hub, and when the user tries to shut them down they
give fair warning if there are applications still using their hub
(and if closing the app implies shutting down the hub).