Applications Messaging Standard

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Mon Feb 12 13:10:39 PST 2007

I think we are talking about two different things here.  The VO registry
would be used to discover applications or services available somewhere
on the Internet; the scope is world wide.  A "message bus" on the other
hand (PLASTIC is a simple version of one), registers connected apps for
a desktop session.  The types of apps used in a desktop session often
would not be available as services via the Internet (but they might
still be described in the VO registry just so that one can find out
about them).  The "hub" or message bus type of registry is more a type
of naming service.

On the issue of using files to store/exchange metadata: this is just
too problematic for a distributed system (except maybe for simple
startup stuff).  Messaging is often used to link together modules in a
distributed system, and this may well span multiple computers.  Files
may not be visible from all participating nodes, plus there can be
synchronization, caching, and platform issues.  Best to avoid files
except perhaps for startup on the login/head node.

	- Doug