Applications Messaging Standard

Noel Winstanley Noel.Winstanley at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 09:22:38 PST 2007

  On 7 Feb 2007, at 16:38, Tony Linde wrote:

> Quick(ish) question re PLASTIC: is the plastic hub something like a
> message
> broker?

Its a little like a message broker, but specialized and simplified to
the task of inter-application messaging - so not a general messaging
solution.

Unlike a messaging system like MSeries or ActiveMQ, Plastic hub
implementations don't queue messages, and makes no guarantees about
delivery of messages (whilst MSeries guarantee once and once only for
every message), or, I believe, ordering of messages.

Plastic has a lot less support for security, transactions, and other
things that typically concern enterprise software. If a plastic
message is dropped, or even spoofed or intercepted, it's assumed that
this isn't the end of the world.

Similar to a messaging system, a plastic hub doesn't really care
about the content of the messages - the definition and format of
mesages are left to the message producer and consumer to agree,
whilst the hub just takes care of routing them.

> And if so, how does it relate to existing ones such as ActiveMQ
> (http://activemq.apache.org/home.html)?

PLASTIC is a specification that uses open-standard transports and has
multiple implementations.

  Most message brokers use a closed communication protocol and don't
interoperate well with each other. Although there's , eg, a Java API
to messaging systems (JMS), it makes no guarantee that any JMS client
can connect to any messsaging system - specific drivers are required
(as with JDBC). This is not the case with PLASTIC.

Plastic has been out in the wild for about a year, ActiveMQ only left
the apache incubator today.

Plastic is good for quickly exchanging control info between desktop
apps. Message Brokers are good for, eg,  processing banking
transactions.

cheers
noel.