Applications Messaging Standard (was Re: )

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Tue Feb 6 08:55:29 PST 2007

On 06.02.2007, at 17:41, Alasdair Allan wrote:

> Noel Winstanley wrote:
>> I don't think soap is the right tool for the job in this case. I'd
>> like to draw the group's attention to JSON... as an increasingly
>> popular alternative to XML-RPC, which is no more heavyweight, and
>> is maybe a transport / representation that should also be considered.
>
> JSON has mind share and is viewed as being "sexier" than XML-RPC
> for some reason. I think it's a strong candidate. Certainly we
> should just pick one of these data representations, preferably a
> fairly widespread language neutral one, and shouldn't under any
> circumstances roll our own. I don't think we'd want to go as far as
> YAML though, I can't see the need?
>
> Al

I have to say this is another case of web 2.0 hype...

JSON invented because it directly evaled into javascript data object,
but as every Perl programmer from the earliest CGI days knows that is
a security nightmare http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Json#Security_issues so you need to use a JSON parser - so what is
the point?

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org