Identifying apps [was Re: Apps Messaging -- A New Approach

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at tucana.tuc.noao.edu
Mon Apr 30 02:38:40 PDT 2007

John,

> Well indeed, how the "blink" message is acted on would be entirely up to
> the application, and it wouldn't even declare the message if it couldn't
> do anything.  Anyway, I don't want to cause a distraction with this: as
> I said, no-one has complained just yet, I was just pointing out that the
> system is flexible enough to deal with this if we really wanted to.

	I likewise don't want to be a distraction, but it's late here and
I'm grumpy:  A 'blink' is not a realistic message any more than "text me
on my cell indicating which window I'll be using" is, even though the
system is 'flexible' enough to respond to either should it choose to
implement them.  It hasn't been a problem so far, and may not be for some
time to come in current usage, but if SAMP is to ever evolve to being able
to deal with multiple instances of a task in a system it shouldn't so
glibbly be passed off as a GUI trick when the use-case doesn't involve
GUIs.  We don't need to explicitly deal with this now, but I've sworn an
oath to be a bastard about the generalities for later developments 8-)

-Mike