Apps Messaging -- A New Approach

Mike Fitzpatrick mjfitzpatrick at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 02:53:44 PDT 2007

Hi Mark,

My point is that we can specify as part of the registration or a message
send that an app (via the API) include a tag such as the pid of the
sending process.  The pid is tagged to particular instance of an app
and the Hub assigns this ID to the recipients of the message so they
all see the true originator of the message, but we don't need any ID
information at the user level in the API, this is all in the Hub implementation.

At the moment we've got this conversation going to establish public and
private IDs in the API and stuff for an app to worry about handling.  A pid
can certainly be hacked, but since the idea here is 'simple' I think we're
just adding complexity for no real demonstrated threat.  If the mythical
"rm *" must be dealt with NOW, then so should some of the other radical
use cases.  I thought this all fell into the "no guaranteed delivery, no
queueing, KISS, etc" principles agreed on long ago.

-Mike