Apps Messaging -- A New Approach

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 08:31:14 PDT 2007

Hi Mike & Gretchen,
Apologies for not responding to this sooner.  Mike: I think your
approach offers a good way forward, and like Gretchen I favour an
emphasis on making this available pretty quickly so we can get
feedback for any future mods or more general system.

I believe Mark's timetable:
http://www.ivoa.net/forum/apps/0701/0156.htm
is achievable if we keep focussed on the simple stuff.

Over the last year a number of changes have been suggested for
PLASTIC, and the discussions on this list have thrown up a few more.
Rising to Mike's challenge, I've collected them on this wiki page:

http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/PlasticOnePointOh

All of these changes can be made while retaining backwards
compatibility with current PLASTIC apps, at least in the short term.
If I've missed something important, please let me know.   Some  of
the changes are lacking a sponsor: if you want to adopt one then go
ahead, or I'll delete it if it gets no support.  I've taken the
liberty of attributing some of the changes to Mark and Mike - feel
free to remove your name if I've got it wrong.

So, cast your votes for the changes you want to see, and those you
don't.  Please do take part - it's important we get your views,
*particularly* from people who intend to develop applications against
this protocol.

Once we've got a list of changes to focus on, we can thrash out the
details.

John