Apps Messaging - Twin track? [was: Re: Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

John Taylor jontayler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:38:46 PDT 2007

Sorry not to have been keeping up with this: as Mike noted, I'm
"away" this week.

It looks like we're splitting into two camps: those who want to get
as close to perfect a design as possible up front so we don't have to
throw anything away in the future, and those who want to get code out
there reasonably quickly to get feedback and direction from the
astronomers.   It won't be any surprise if I declare that I'm in the
latter camp.  However, I don't think either side is going to persuade
the other of its righteousness as, let's face it, there are pros and
cons to both approaches.

So, as Tony says, why can't we do both?

In fact, we already are: people have been defining new PLASTIC
messages and finding new uses for the system even as we've been
discussing its "successor".  It would be helpful to formalise this
though.

What are the disadvantages of the twin track approach?
a) Extra work - we end up doing things twice.
b) App developers might not adopt the preliminary spec, but will wait
for the final one.

I think a) is actually not true.    It buys us time to get the Grand
Messaging Architecture right.  By getting messaging software into the
hands of astronomers early we'll get valuable feedback and experience
that we can feed into the design of the  GMA and will even save time
overall.
As for b), this can be mitigated by VOOOM=PLASTIC++ having an IVOA
stamp on it, giving a clear roadmap for when the GMA is likely to
appear and pledging to continue to support VOOOM in our applications
for some transitional period.

If we started now, we could get a working draft out not long after
the May interop.

John