Apps Messaging Manifesto

Thomas Boch boch at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Apr 11 04:28:51 PDT 2007

Hi,

> > 2) The design of the messaging system (and messages) should place a low
> > burden on authors who wish to make their applications compliant.

I can't agree more. It is rather easy to add PLASTIC support in a given
tool, and I really hope we won't lose this strength in the messaging
protocol.

> > 3) We don't have all the answers up front, and our goal should be to get
> > software out into the community quickly so that we can get feedback to refine
> > our ideas.

> > With regard to 3), I'd be interested in hearing from people which
> > applications they intend to modify to use the messaging protocol.  Authors
> > who are actively working on software that tracks the standard are the ones
> > who will be best placed to discover flaws and improvements to it and effect
> > changes.   As for myself, I intend to provide a Java module for the Workbench
> > that will serve as a Hub, and a Java library to make life easier for clients.
> > In particular, I intend to maintain an applet that allows data centres to
> > create messaging-enabled web pages.  If time allows I will also provide a
> > Python client.

I plan to update Aladin, so that it supports the messaging protocol we
are currently designing. I also have interest in testing the protocol
from IDL scripts.

Apart from John, is anybody else planning to write a 'hub'
implementation ?

Cheers,

Thomas