Apps Messaging Manifesto

Isa Barbarisi Isa.Barbarisi at sciops.esa.int
Wed Apr 11 03:39:15 PDT 2007

Mark Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, John Taylor wrote:
>
>> 1) A simple solution which does the right thing nearly all the time
>> is better than a complicated one which does the right thing all the
>> time.
>>
>> 2) The design of the messaging system (and messages) should place a
>> low burden on authors who wish to make their applications compliant.
>>
>> 3) We don't have all the answers up front, and our goal should be to
>> get software out into the community quickly so that we can get
>> feedback to refine our ideas.

>> With regard to 3), I'd be interested in hearing from people which
>> applications they intend to modify to use the messaging protocol.
>> Authors who are actively working on software that tracks the standard
>> are the ones who will be best placed to discover flaws and
>> improvements to it and effect changes.   As for myself, I intend to
>> provide a Java module for the Workbench that will serve as a Hub, and
>> a Java library to make life easier for clients. In particular, I
>> intend to maintain an applet that allows data centres to create
>> messaging-enabled web pages.  If time allows I will also provide a
>> Python client.
>
> I will hope to keep TOPCAT and SPLAT on top of developments, and
> STILTS if appropriate.  I'd like to do the same with GAIA,
> but Tcl is much harder work (at least for me) than Java, so whether
> this is feasible depends a bit on how complicated, and
> how different from PLASTIC, anything we agree on turns out to be.
>
> anyone else?

I will try to get VOSpec updated as well, if I manage to finish reading
this mailing list ;-)

Isa

> Mark

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The
unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify
the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
for any e-mail if modified.