Apps Messaging - Semantics of a Message

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Mon Apr 9 05:57:47 PDT 2007

Mike Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I disagree, what possible use is "here's a table" as a message
> other than to generate a "so what" reply?  A response to a
> get.datatype
> message might encode the answer this way but the mtype of the reply
> will
> still be status.reply.

Just to make the point, we are not here to build yet another general
purpose messaging bus for generic applications. We can take short
cuts and make assumptions because what we're here to build is a
specific type of messaging system designed to send astronomy specific
data to astronomy specific applications, possibly all confined to a
single desktop machine.

Al.