[Plastic-devs] Plastic Application Monitor

Alasdair Allan aa at astro.ex.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 05:49:51 PDT 2006

All,

John Taylor wrote:
> You might have noticed that the "view plastic applications" page
> has been removed... for plastic developers it was quite handy to be
> able to  see info on which apps were connected to the Hub, and what
> messages they claimed to support.

Inspired by John's PAM, and because I wanted to figure out how to do
XML-RPC from Javascript, "Bored in Airport" productions gives you...

The Plastic Monitor Dashboard Widget for Mac OS X Tiger
http://www.estar.org.uk/software/plastic_monitor_widget.zip

> The application connects to your Plastic Hub... and reports on what
> other applications it finds.  Not exactly a major advance in
> scientific computing, but quite handy.

Ditto.

Caveats!

This is a buggy "release early" alpha, and has a bit too much
absolute rather than relative positioning in the CSS. Worse yet it
also uses the HTTP GET interface of the AG Hub for the initial poll
of registered applications. However it does do everything else via
asynchronous XML RPC, and I will be ripping the last vestiges of HTTP
out of the widget during ADASS if I get time (it's no longer
necessary, as I've now figured out how to do XML RPC from Javascript,
the point of the exercise!).

Expect updates shortly, I'll drop a page onto the eSTAR website
linked from my PLASTIC page at

http://www.estar.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Plastic

in the very near future (next time I'm bored in an airport, which
should be within a day or so)...

For the non-blessed amoungst you, that haven't got OSX boxes, see the
attached screenshots if you're interested.

Cheers,
Al.