tehoretical SEDs in VO applications

Miguel Cerviño mcs at iaa.es
Fri May 5 06:37:42 PDT 2006

Thanks a lot Jesus,

I completely agree with you points, but
only for "increasing" the discussion:

About metadata in the VO table, there is two particular issues
specifically related with theory, and any analysis tool:
Suppouse that you overplot real data and several theoretical models.
And you obtain a good fit of a particular model. If the application
is not able to show the
model parameters (that should be included somewhere in the VOTable
metadata), how
can you recover them for, for example, a publication? I would agree
that an
link to a generated page would be fine, but it would only works for
catalogs,
and it would not work if the teoretical data is generated by the use
of diferent
aplications (example a virtual telescope machine). Since model
parameters should
be included in the VOtable, I think is more easy, and safer, that the
applications
would be able to show the information that is yet included in the
VOTable
they manage instead to refer to an external link. Additionally, an
external link
will make not possible to work with downloaded data without internet
conexion....

(An specific comment about that is that the providers of synthesis
models
would not be very happy and may be will not join actively the VO
iniciative if
they do not obtain credits for the use of their models, and metadata
is the
only place where such a credit can be written explicitelly, including
references to
the models papers etc...)

And about TSAP, yes, I know (I had been also working) it ;)
However, most of VOtools applications are not designed to
support a TSAP-like protocol: Obtain a parameter VOTable and
process it before access the data.... Maybe is time that other
applications also will think about this kind of implementation, isn't
it?

cheers

	miguel