Announce: VOMon, a VO Monitoring Service

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 09:38:40 PST 2006

Hi all,
I'd like to announce a monitoring application that might be of interest
to anyone who's responsible for keeping VO services up and running, and
wants to find out about outages before their users do.

VOMon interrogates an IVOA registry with a sysadmin-supplied xquery, and
pings the resulting services every so often to generate a html report on
their statuses.  An example report can be seen here:
http://thor.roe.ac.uk/vomon/status.xml
In this case, the service is monitoring all services with authority Id
"*roe.ac.uk", ie everything we run here at WFAU in Edinburgh.

Here is another example, monitoring all the publishing registries that
are in the AstroGrid registry:
http://thor.roe.ac.uk/vomon-reg/status.xml

Currently "pinging" simply means checking that the accessUrl of the
service returns http code 200.  In some special cases such as cone, siap
and ssap a trivial query string is appended to the URL.  Once the VOSI
interfaces are widely deployed I'll make VOMon use these instead.  Out
of the box, VOMon produces an html report which can be tailored to your
needs by tweaking the associated xsl.   It also ships with plugins that
allow you to send notice of outages to you via email or jabber, or log
them to a file (useful for calculating uptime).

If you want to try it out to monitor your own services you can download
it from here:
http://vomon.sourceforge.net/

I'd be interested in any feedback you have on configuring it and running it.

Regards, and an early Merry Christmas,

John

Credits:
VOMon is basically a mash-up of the AstroRuntime (used to interrogate
the registry), and MARS (used to do the actual monitoring).

AstroGrid/VOTech
&
WFAU, Institute for Astronomy, Edinburgh
Skype:johndavidtaylor <skype:johndavidtaylor?chat>

*Gratuitous advertising:*
Plastic - http://plastic.sourceforge.net | AstroRuntime -
http://www2.astrogrid.org/desktop
AstroGrid - http://www.astrogrid.org | WFAU -