Applications session at IVOA Interop meeting. Oct 6-7

John Taylor jdt at roe.ac.uk
Tue Sep 13 02:50:42 PDT 2005

Hi Mark,
I can give a demonstration of a "VO-enabled" version of xmdv-lite.  This
is a visualization tool for multidimensional datasets that has views
such as parallel axes.  The two most interesting things about it (apart
from its use for visualization!) are how it's possible to deliver it by
Java Web Start (even though it includes non-Java code), and how it can
load data from VOSpace using Noel Winstanley's new Astro Client Runtime.

John

Mark Allen wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>There is an Applications session planned for the upcoming
>IVOA Interoperability meeting  6-7 October, ESAC (Madrid), Spain.
>The session is on the Thursday starting at 14:30, running
>parallel to the VOEvent and UCD sessions.
>
>I would like to organise a program of short ~10 minute presentations
>on new/updated VO applications, and some general discussion about
>the role of the IVOA Application interest group.
>
>If you would like to contribute a presentation please send me
>a title and very breif abstract within the next couple of weeks.
>
>Possible topics for discussion may include:
>
>- Interoperability of VO applications: How different VO applications
>  may work together
>
>- What can the Apps IG do to promote uptake of VO tools?
>
>- Discovering and Using VO Applications.
>  - Simple lists of applications, or lists of links
>  - Benefits of registering applications in VO registries
>

>I note that there is currently an overlap of interests with
>the Registries WG on the topic of registering applications
>in VO registries,  and that this issue will be discussed in
>the Registry session (Thursday 16:30-18:30).
>
>As an Interest Group, I think it would be good to capture
>some ideas about how Astronomers may use VO applications
>(via registries?), and what information/metadata about applications
>would be useful when searching for them. These ideas could then
>be fed into the Registry WG discussions on defining applications
>metadata.
>
>best regards,
>Mark.

>Mark G. Allen