Apps session presentations, and Lists of Applications

Mark Allen allen at newb6.u-strasbg.fr
Wed Oct 12 08:07:04 PDT 2005

Applications Session at IVOA Interop.
-------------------------------------

Thankyou to everyone who participated in the Applications session at
the IVOA interop meeting last week.

The session was very well attended with 7 presentations across a wide
range of VO applications. Highlights included new funtionalities for
handling Spectra, SEDs and Theoretical models (VOSpec and VOSED).
Also multi-dimensional visualization tools (VisIVO, xmdv-lite).
Also VO applications 'infrastructure' - the Astro Client Runtime
(ACR) which provides a uniform way to access VO components, and
discussion of the way VO tools can interoperate with PLASTIC
(a specification to allow visualization tools to work together).
Overall there seems to be good uptake of the new and emerging
VO standards.

The slides of the presentations have been uploaded to the meeting
page:

http://ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpOct2005Applications

List of applications and applications in Registries

There were some questions about where one can find VO applications.
"Is there a list?". To provide a short term solution to that
I've updated the IVOA Applications wiki page with a list of
applications and also links to other known lists. This is meant
to be a simple and practical set of links to help astronomers and
developers know what is out there.

I've compiled this preliminary list with a fairly flexible definition
of application, and it is by no means complete. I encourage you to
add your applications (or lists) to this list by editing the wiki page.
Comments welcome.

It should soon be possible find applications in the VO via VO Regisitries.
The IVOA registries working group is currently discussing the metadata
that is needed to describe an application, and made good progress in
the discussions at the meeting.
(see: http://ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/InterOpOct2005ResReg )
Applications in registries should eventually provide a much more
sophisticated way of searching for them. The list on the Apps page is
intended as a simple list which we can point to today.

cheers,
Mark.

Mark G. ALLEN
Observatoire de Strasbourg