FITS Java library with WCS routines?

Tom McGlynn Thomas.A.McGlynn at nasa.gov
Thu Nov 3 17:37:42 PST 2005

The new SkyView Java library described at
http://skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov/jar.html has
a fairly substantial capability for transforming between world and pixel
coordinates.
It supports most of the commonly used WCS features, though it is by no
means complete
(e.g., only about 7 or 8 projections are supported). For a FITS file
with a given WCS
it's straightforward to get the transformation between pixel and world
coordinates.
However it's probably harder to adapt to writing the WCS in new FITS
files.  It uses
the nom.tam.fits library for the actual FITS I/O -- for which someday
I'd like to
have the time to address the issues you mention below...

The Java class library is available for download and the rather
sparse JavaDocs are on-line.  The source code is certainly available if
you'd like
that but is not 100% stable.

    Regards,
    Tom McGlynn