PHP VO client toolkit

Shui Kwok skwok at keck.hawaii.edu
Fri Oct 1 19:00:10 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I would like to add my PHP VO client toolkit that I developed for the summer
school to the VO Applications Twiki page. Just wanted to consult with you
before I edit that page. Is it OK for me to do the changes?

I posted a short description of the PHP VO client toolkit in NVO Twiki under
Students Presentations. See
http://chart.stsci.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/SkwokNvoProj . Strictly speaking,
the toolkit is not an application. A demo application (3 web pages) are
included, which users can modify. But I could not find another suitable
place to put it.

Because PHP is very popular and it is (with Apache) part of most Linux
distributions and PHP is available for Windows also, I hope that the PHP VO
client toolkit can help researchers setup and tailor their web pages or
scripts to benefit from the VO technologies in a very simple way. No Java,
Tomcat, or axis libraries are necessary. And I am avoiding the SOAP
protocol. The only disadvantage is that it seems to be slow. But that could
be my implementation. After all, this release was just a exercise.

I have already implemented parts of a server toolkit. As an example, I
implemented a cone search service for the Team Keck Treasury Survey in the
GOODS-N field, which is now registered in the NVO registry. More will be
coming soon.

I am interested to know if others are working with PHP to access VO related
services. May be we can setup a PHP working group.

Thanks,

Shui