Putting the pieces together...

Doug Tody dtody at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri May 14 11:26:35 PDT 2004

Hi Ivo -

Having a uniform quality metric such as 0-1.0 or 0-100 is a good idea,
that would work too and seems general enough.  Again, it would be useful
to survey what is actually done currently in spectral archives then we
could be sure what we come up with is reasonable.

> In short, my point is: shouldn't the data model allow some room for
> non-standard extra bits of info such as data quality threshold values?

This sounds like what I meant by extension records.  At the level of a
dataset I think we should always allow "nonstandard" extensions which extend
the core model using the same mechanisms as used in the core.  In many
cases this just means adding some extra keywords, which is probably how
one would encode a threshold value.  Or this extra information could take
the form of additional structured entities in the dataset.  Of course it
would take extra work to make use of such information, but I think many
would like to have such information available even if it is not yet
standardized, so long as it does not obscure the core model.

	- Doug