SAMP and HTTPS workaround?

Sebastien Derriere sebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
Mon Sep 2 16:43:45 CEST 2019

Le 22/08/2019 à 15:05, Mark Taylor a écrit :
> I have written such a helper application, and I'd be interested
> to know if anyone wants to try it out: especially data providers
> who are using HTTPS and want to allow users to load tables/images
> using SAMP.  Would this be an acceptable solution?
>
> You can find the application here:
>
>     http://andromeda.star.bris.ac.uk/websamp/sampload.jar
>
> If you run, e.g. "java -jar sampload.jar /tmp/tmpfile.vot"
> then it will pop up a window asking which VOTable-capable
> SAMP client you want to send tmpfile.vot to.
> (It works out what kind of file it is by looking at the content).
>
> Unless your OS/browser can execute jar files directly, to use it with
> a browser you'll need to accompany it with a small shell script or
> equivalent like
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>     java -jar /path/to/sampload.jar "$@"

Hi Mark,

I was trying to use you helper application. It works fine in most cases, but
I run into a problem with some special path/filenames.

The default with modern Linux systems and the french locale is that some
directories use special chars (I hate it, but it's the default now). So my
"Download" directory is named "Téléchargements" (with the accents, yes), and
if I try to pass a FITS file located in such a directory to your samp
loader, it fails :

It opens a "Send error" window, with the following message :
Send failure Bad SAMP string; contains character 0xe9

And sure enough, the 0xe9 is é.
I haven't found a way to escape the filename yet. Do you enforce a strict
regexp on filenames ?

Sébastien

    (((    Sebastien Derrieresebastien.derriere at astro.unistra.fr
   (. .)   Observatoire de Strasbourg       Phone +33 (0) 368 852 444
  (( v ))  11, rue de l'universite        Telefax +33 (0) 368 852 432
---m-m--- F-67000 Strasbourg  France