SAMP browser plugin? Re: SAMP and HTTPS workaround?

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Oct 14 14:37:37 CEST 2019

Hi Hugo,

thanks for the input.  I didn't go through all the possibilities
in my talk, but yes a browser plugin of some sort might be able to
solve the problem (and historically I think that some SAMP browser
plugins existed before the Web Profile was introduced as an alternative
solution to that problem, but I don't think they got much beyond
the experimental stage).  A couple of other people mentioned this
at the meeting too.

I have two main reservations about this option.  First, will users
actually install a browser extension?  And second, the amount of
work involved in writing and maintaining the extension code for
multiple versions of multiple browsers.  I don't have much grasp
of how big a drawback either of those things is though.
If anybody wants to experiment with implementation and report back,
that would be great.

Mark