SAMP over HTTPS

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 18:07:17 CET 2016

Hi SAMP enthusiasts,

this is a short progress report on my investigations into getting
SAMP to work over HTTPS.  If you attended the Apps sessions in
Sydney, you may remember I concluded it was basically impossible;
fortunately there were some smarter people than me in the audience
and Tom Donaldson pointed out there is a way round the main problem
I saw: basically you can bounce all SAMP communications off some
remote server rather than having to manage (problematic) HTTPS
comms to the local host.

I've prototyped some ideas and I have some working code.
I made a presentation on this at the recent ASTERICS (Euro-VO)
meeting, slides available here:

   https://www.asterics2020.eu/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=open:wp4:wp4techforum2

My experimental code (still under development) and some other links
are available on github:

   https://github.com/mbtaylor/tlsamp

I'm currently working with Tom McGlynn to see if he can get it
running at HEASARC.

I won't go into any more detail here.  There's still quite a bit of
work to do, including working out whether this is really worth all
the effort or not.  I will present something in Cape Town, but this
message is just a heads up in case anybody wants to follow progress
or would otherwise like to get involved at this stage.