JSAMP HUB waits for callee before returning to caller

Hugo Buddelmeijer buddel at astro.rug.nl
Wed Jun 25 00:54:49 PDT 2014

Mark,

Thank you for your quick response.

JSAMP_async indeed behaves better as far as my concerns went. I did not
test the shutdown functionality.

I will improve the SAMP clients under my responsibility as well. It
seems best to create a separate threads for interfaces controlling the
software (UI, SAMP), which queues (time-consuming) actions in a main,
interface-less thread doing the work. However, the new HUB behaviour is
very useful for short programs like 'client1.py' and it protects 'good'
clients from the 'bad' ones.

Perhaps most clients separate their interface properly, hence nobody
complaining so far. I noticed the delays before, but SAMP was not a high
priority for me at that time and waiting a few seconds is usually not so
bad because you need the action performed anyway. However, our recent
SAMP experiments, with two clients sending messages back and forth
autonomously, failed spectacularly because each client was waiting on
the other to close the HTTP session, resulting in a lock-up of the
entire system.

Also great to see that JSAMP is on github now. Since I had never used
JSAMP stand-alone (always through TOPCAT webstart), I went through the
IVOA website to (not) find it.

The IVOA twiki
   http://wiki.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampSoftware
still links to
   http://software.astrogrid.org/doc/jsamp/
which links to google
   https://code.google.com/p/astrogrid/
for the source repository.

Perhaps the IVOA twiki should be updated to point to
   http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/jsamp/
?

(It being a wiki, I finally decided to make an account, but it seems you
need to have an account in order to make one, so this failed.)

Greetings,

Hugo