MOC load MType

Mark Taylor M.B.Taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Sep 26 18:30:28 PDT 2013

Hi,

following a comment in the MOC Apps session today, I'd like to suggest
a new MType for the exchange of MOCs.

   coverage.load.moc.fits:

      Loads a MOC in FITS format.

      Arguments:
         url (string):
            URL of a FITS file containing the MOC to load
         coverage-id (string) _optional_:
            identifier which may be used to refer to the loaded
            coverage specification in subsequent messages
         name (string) _optional_:
            name which may be used to label the loaded coverage
            specification in the user interface

      Return values:
         None.

Aladin already supports this functionality by co-opting a different
MType (I think, table.load.fits), but it would be better to have a
dedicated MType so that it's clear to cooperating clients which ones
can do something sensible with a MOC.

The MType name obviously leaves the option open for something like
coverage.load.stc-s (fine, if somebody wants to implement it),
or for something like coverage.load.moc.json (which I don't think
should be encouraged, because FITS should be the standard common
exchange format).

Any comments, objections, suggestions etc welcome.
If nobody comments, I'll add it to the SampMTypes wiki page.