[jmmc-tech-group] SAMP meta-data extensions ?

Sylvain LAFRASSE sylvain.lafrasse at obs.ujf-grenoble.fr
Thu Oct 18 04:53:17 PDT 2012

On 17 oct. 2012, at 16:39, Mark Taylor wrote:

> Hi Sylvain,

>>> It doesn't seem to make much sense to have something like jnlp.url as
>>> mandatory, since non-java applications can't supply it.  It could be
>>> strongly encouraged (where applicable) though.
>>
>> Of course !
>> My idea was obviously to make it mandatory when applicable.
>
> OK, I think it's a difference of terminology.
>
>>> In general: my feeling is that it is worthwhile to have well-known
>>> keys for those metadata items which are intended to be used by
>>> software (e.g. jnlp.url), but for those items which are essentially
>>> directed at humans (e.g. authors) it doesn't serve any
>>> particular purpose to standardise them, especially in view of the
>>> fact that it's going to be hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all
>>> list of metadata items appropriate for all (SAMP or general) applications.
>>
>> I disagree. Such data are fairly standard across SAMP applications today.
>> So why not propose a standard in order to let software harvest those data too ?
>
> I'm happy to have those keys listed centrally so that tools
> which find them applicable can use them rather than everybody
> making up their own (so, for instance, we don't get some people
> writing release.date and others writing Release-Date).
>
> However if you take the standardisation seriously you get a load of
> questions like what if the relase notes are only in a PDF as part
> of a larger document, what if the affiliation has a contact email but
> not a web page, what if there's a pre-release JNLP that isn't exactly
> a beta, what if the tool has multiple affiliations...
> And there will always be important bits of metadata not covered
> by the ones you've thought of, so you won't capture everything.
> Writing normative text that attempts to address this sort of thing
> can be a lot of effort and always ends up not answering all the
> questions that come up in practice.

I really understand all those issues. And my propositions will undoubtedly not fill all needs (but seems to already lots of SAMP apps meta-data AppLauncher embed).
But if the community waits endlessly for the perfect solution (the one that would fit all use-cases) to arise from "we don't now where", nothing happened at all.
So a good trade-off would then be to (at least) add/update the listed x-samp keywords the community consider relevant in each official SAMP standard to come.

> The DM WG tries to tackle this sort of problem for things
> like spectral characterisation which actually need to be
> machine-readable in order to drive processing (at least, I believe
> that's the idea), and it's a lot of work.  A couple of the
> proposed items (JNLP URL, maybe homepage URL) listed above do
> fall into that category, they can be used by software.
> But in most cases here the use of the items will be to present
> them to humans to read, so the normalisation of the data isn't
> really doing useful work.

Except for meta-data harvesting, indexing and publication !