x-samp.query.by-meta

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 03:20:57 PST 2011

Hi all,

following a suggestion from Luigi, I've added a draft for a new
experimental MType, x-samp.query.by-meta, to the
http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampMTypes
wiki page.  The main point of this is to make it easy for SAMP
clients to find the ID of a client with a given name, e.g.
"is Aladin registered, and if so what's its client ID?",
though it can be used in more general ways too.
This would typically be implemented by the Hub, though since
normal clients could implement it, my feeling is that it an
(x-)samp.hub.* name would not be appropriate.

The description on that wiki page is just my first draft for discussion;
if anybody wants to change/improve/rename it, or thinks it's a bad
idea, please edit it and/or discuss it on this list.
In particular: Luigi, does this do what you had in mind?