SAMP 1.3 WD (Web Profile)

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 12 06:17:41 PDT 2011

Dear SAMPers,

I've drafted a new version of the SAMP document, WD-samp-1.3.
This is pretty much the same as REC-samp-1.2, except that it
contains a new section on the Web Profile.  This new section
has mostly the same content as the websamp discussion document
that I circulated before Nara, but somewhat rearranged and with
some open questions about security.

The Web Profile was discussed at the Nara Interop
(http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/InterOpDec2010Applications/websamp.pdf),
and the feeling was that we should go ahead with including it
in the standard.  There are however some security-related issues
outstanding that we need to address.

We will discuss the situation in the Apps 1 session in Naples next week.
In my opinion new working draft is ready for wider scrutiny,
with the exception of a couple of the sections on Web Profile
security, currently 5.4.3 and 5.4.4.  I hope that we can make progress
on those at the Interop.

You can see the existing text of the WD on Volute or at

   http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/websamp/WD-samp-1.3.html
   http://www.star.bristol.ac.uk/~mbt/websamp/WD-samp-1.3.pdf

(see the parent page for a bit more context).

I would like to upload a WD to the IVOA document
server before the meeting.  Since I seem to have left writing it
till the last minute that doesn't leave much time (sorry).
If anybody would like time to comment or edit it before then,
let me know, otherwise I'll try to upload it today.
Of course contributions will still be welcome after that,
we can submit multiple versions of the WD before we think about
promoting it to PR.