Fwd: Discover and start VO Applications (SAMP compatible)

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 09:58:26 PST 2011

Laurent,

something like this could be a good idea.

Regarding the registry issue: VOApplication has been renamed
AplicationRegExt, and there was some discussion of reviving interest
in it at the 2010 December Interop.
See page 4 of Ray's closing plenary
(http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/PlenarySessionsDec2010/IVOADec10RWGPlenary2.pdf)
- requirements and use cases are of interest at this stage,
and this may be one such.

From the SAMP point of view: this functionality would not have
to be handled by the hub.  It would be better done by an independent
launcher tool which connects to the hub in the same way as any
other SAMP client and knows how to start new applications that can
deal with particular MTypes.  Therefore I don't believe there are
any implications here for the SAMP standard or hub implementations.

I've given this idea some thought before, but not got round to doing
anything about it.  There are a number of different ways it could work,
but I think the best would be if the launcher just subscribed to
all MTypes that it has potential clients for, and when a message
comes in, maybe start up a suitable client and forward the
message to it.  How you work out the "maybe" and "suitable" here
are the tricky bits of course: I think the mapping of MType to
started-client would have to be configurable by the user, perhaps
by a popup menu or a config file or both; the initial settings
or available options could be populated from the registry if
something like ApplicationRegExt comes into being, but equally
a default configuration could be supplied, so it wouldn't be
necessary to wait for ApplicationRegExt before having a working
model of this.

There are various other devils in the details: How do you know if
a tool is already running?  Can you start non-Java tools?
Does it matter that the message is forwarded by the launcher
rather than from the original sender?  Etc.