Post-RFC SAMP document changes

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 06:21:05 PST 2009

Dear interested party,

following the comments which come up as a result of the SAMP document RFC
period, we will need to make some changes to the document before it
hopefully continues its progress to REC.
Up till now I have had sole care of the document and build machinery,
which is OK, but means only I can make changes and easily see what
those changes have been.

To make it more transparent what changes have been made, and possibly
to facilitate collaborative working, I have now put the document text
and build machinery into the Volute google code repository which was
set up by Norman Gray and Rick Wagner (my thanks to them).  See

    http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampDoc

for details.

At the least this means that it will be obvious to others (e.g. authors
whose text I may be tweaking) what changes are being made, and, assuming
I add suitable history comments, why.  It also means that people other
than me could make edits.  I suggest for now that I make the edits
and others who want to make sure that they agree with what's being done
keep an eye on the changes in the repository, either as the changes
take place or in a batch prior to resubmission as REC.
If I plan any major changes or reorganisations which are not obvious
from the RFC process itself I will flag it up here in any case.
But, if Mike or Thomas disagree, we can discuss a different policy.