Client secret in SAMP recommendation

Juan de Dios Santander Vela jdsant at iaa.es
Tue Feb 3 04:47:27 PST 2009

Hi, I've been using a direct XML-RPC client against both JSAMP-based
and SAMPy-based hubs, and I've found that the method signatures in the
SAMP Proposed Recommendation do not show the client private-key.

Don't you think they should be added?

I understand this is covered in section 4.2 items 2 and 3, but I think
it is much more informative if it is present in the method signatures
themselves. In the way they are written, they resemble more ancillary
code one would write in a class, which would then take care of doing
the appropriate call. In the way I propose they would more closely
resemble the actual XML-RPC call.

This is a minor issue, as it is covered in the manuscript, but I think
it could be taken into account after approval by the IVOA Exec.

ps. Before sending this e-mail I've seen that Luigi run into a small
problem with SAMPy implementation just because it was not clear what
was the first parameter to be sent in those calls, so I guess it is
not such a bad idea ;-)

--
Juan de Dios Santander Vela
Diplomado en CC. Físicas, Ingeniero en Electrónica

Ruiz Iriarte: La sonrisa es el idioma universal de los hombres
inteligentes. Sólo son tristes los tontos y los delincuentes.