MType list

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 3 03:59:50 PST 2009

Dear apps-samp,

following my earlier suggestions on the topic of MType lists discussed
here, I have obtained agreement from the Exec that the persistent URL
http://www.ivoa.net/samp/ can be used by us to point to some kind
of top-level page of information about SAMP.  If the current list
of application-domain MTypes and discussions of the procedures for
adding to it are prominently visible from there, this will satisfy
the reviewers who had concerns about how people could find out about
MTypes in use (comments on section 5.3 of the PR).

I've made some adjustments to the wiki pages, including removing the
content of the SampProgress page (since the name sounds too provisional
for a top-level entry point) and replaced it with a new page SampInfo:

    http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampInfo

This currently contains the basics to orient authors or users who
want to know about SAMP.  It could no doubt be improved - anyone
with ideas for doing so, please go ahead!  But I think that it is
sufficient for the initial referent of the http://www.ivoa.net/samp/ URL.

I have replaced the discussion of procedure in section 5.3 with the
following text:

    At time of writing, the procedures for maintaining the list of
    publicly-agreed MTypes are quite informal.
    These procedures remain under review,
    however the current list and details of best practice for adding to it
    are, and will remain, available in some form from the URL
    \url{http://www.ivoa.net/samp/}.

(as you can see at http://code.google.com/p/volute/source/detail?r=936).

Unless anybody has an objection, I will ask Bruno in the next day or
two to make the link
    http://www.ivoa.net/samp/ ->
    http://www.ivoa.net/cgi-bin/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/SampInfo

We should then be all set to progress to REC.