Version number

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Nov 13 07:57:50 PST 2008

Following up my earlier post about the PR draft:

I'm not quite sure what version number to attach to the SAMP document
which goes forward to be PR and eventually REC (I have dodged this
issue for now by just using a date string).  It would seem tidiest
if the final recommendation was named SAMP 1.0.  However, the WD was
1.0, and the current PR draft differs from this, and it may yet
change further.

The issue of IVOA recommendation-track document version numbers is rather
vexed.  Depending on who you talk to, it may be possible to have
a version 1.0 WD and a version 1.0 PR and a version 1.0 REC
(or several of them) which differ from each other.
A proper resolution of this is properly TCG business, and is anyway
beyond the scope of this group.  Christophe has informally told me
to do whatever I/we think is best, pending some improvements to the
document submission processes.

However, we will need at least to decide on the version number of
the eventual REC: should it be 1.0, or 1.1, or 1.0x where x is the
number of changes between now and then, or something different?

I *think* I'm inclined to say call the REC 1.0 and fudge the version
numbers between now and then.  Does anyone else have an opinion?

By the way: I've just realised that this probably has an implication
for the value assigned to the "samp.profile.version" key in sec 4.3
of the document.