SAMP draft document introduction

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Thu May 1 07:12:59 PDT 2008

not unreasonable.  However, as I said:

> This is profile-dependent, since one could imagine other profiles
> in which, for instance, you can always assume that the messaging
> subsystem is present.

To elaborate: some of the participants in the debate prior to it
appearing on this list were concerned that "implementation details"
should be removed from the abstract API described in sec 3.10
and described only in relation to the particular choice of wire
protocol etc that we were using (i.e. the Standard Profile section).
The particular point of contention raised was including the
private-key argument in methods described there.  I thought that
the isAlive() method was in a similar class, so moved it out of
the abstract API.  But maybe I was being overly picky.  I'm happy
to move isAlive() back to where it can be more easily found,
the abstract API, if nobody objects to that.  Anyone?