Administrative MTypes

Mike Fitzpatrick fitz at noao.edu
Tue Jun 10 12:44:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM, John Taylor <jontayler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it just issue an unregister in this situation (after all, the hub
> doesn't know that the app has shut down, but it certainly can forcibly
> unregister it)?

You're probably right, it was a bad example.  The point is, unregistering and
shutting down are two distinct activities and mtypes are supposed to have
a clear meaning.  No doubt people will write apps that infer something has
shut down simply because it unregisters, but that isn't always true.

I claim app.event.shutdown has a clear and distinct meaning apart from the
unregister mtype, it serves an administrative function, and does no harm.
So, feeling more strongly about now as I apparently do, please leave it in.

-Mike